Thursday, November 11, 2010

Good News!

Last spring I once again submitted a hymn text to the annual LDS Church Music ummmm . . . competition? (That doesn't seem the proper word for a church-sponsored event, but that's essentially what it is.) Last year my text was a finalist, but this year my submission didn't get that far. That's OK. I didn't put enough time or effort into it--I actually tried to write the entire text in one day. That never works, though I'd pondered on the idea for a while. Nevertheless (as the scriptures say), I procrastinated because I feel so inadequate when trying to write words for a hymn.

It helps to know that even Janice Kapp Perry experiences the same problem at times. She recently wrote an article about how her songs occasionally come back to "haunt" her. A few months ago, while taking care of some grandchildren, she grew very tired and rather impatiently helped them through a bedtime routine. Then one of them wanted her to sing "Love Is Spoken Here" before she went to sleep. What a reminder!

Now back to the good news. At the same time I entered my hymn text in the music competition, I submitted a poem, "Likening the Miracle", to the cultural arts committee. I recently received word that it will receive a Deseret Dramatic Recognition Award at a presentation in Salt Lake City. Eight other poems will receive the same award so mine is certainly not the best, but this is validation that I needed at this time.

The presentation is scheduled for February in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. I don't know yet if I'll be required to read the poem; the prospect sets my heart pounding but there is no reason to worry about it yet. I am excited to meet some other poets. In the meantime, maybe I'd better ask Santa for a nice dress for Christmas. On second thought, I'd better buy myself a dress for Christmas. Santa gets extremely stressed about shopping for clothes. :)

After the presentation, it might be OK to publish the poem here. I'll have to check on that.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations what an honor. Maybe others are finally recognizing what the rest of us already know what a wonderful talented person you are. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete